This is a question that many young women who are thinking about donating their eggs have. Some feel a little weird asking this question and we get it. Egg donation is a very personal decision, that is mostly based on generosity and altruism. You may think it would be strange to bring money into the equation when you’re helping a family in such an amazing way, but trust us, it’s not.
Egg donor compensation can be treated like a tricky subject but we at Physician’s Surrogacy, don’t think it should be. We feel that our patients should be able to discuss everything related to egg donation openly and honestly. This doesn’t necessarily need to be an awkward topic to talk about. So, here’s everything that you should know about getting paid to donate your eggs.
Why do people pay egg donors?
Egg donors deserve to be compensated fairly. While donating your eggs is not a very time-consuming process, it still requires a serious commitment. From start to finish, the whole egg donation cycle takes a couple of months. Medication will be administered for just two or three weeks. You will need to visit your clinic approximately 6 to 8 times and one last time for a quick egg retrieval procedure at the end.
Egg donation is very safe, and most egg donors don’t experience any inconvenience or complications. Just like any other medical procedure, there can be possible side effects to deal with. Even though the risk is very small, it still exists.
You’ll be putting your time and effort into this. You will also have to agree to a bunch of blood tests that involve needles, as well as a couple of ultrasounds to ensure everything is on track. Most importantly, you will be changing a family’s life forever. This is a big deal, and you shouldn’t be told otherwise. Compensation is a sign of appreciation and respect for doing something that is so selfless. Your time, effort and the risk you’re taking are valued. You deserve to be rewarded for that.
What’s the average compensation rates for egg donation?
There isn’t an industry standard for how much an egg donor will earn. Depending upon the fertility clinic you choose, the compensation can vary quite a bit. Usually egg donors are paid between $5000 to $12000 for each cycle.
At Physician’s Surrogacy, we offer our egg donation program participants a compensation package that is a bit higher than the average, that includes:
- Payment from $7000 to $25,000: This compensation is for your time and effort. A portion of this payment is paid at the beginning of your egg donation cycle, meaning when you start taking fertility medications. And the remaining amount after completing the egg retrieval procedure.
- Paid expenses: You will not have any out-of-pocket costs. The Intended Parents who choose you to be their egg donor pays for your medical expenses and any incidentals which may incur. If you must travel to get to the clinic, all costs will be covered. Your expenses may include airfare, hotel, meals and ground transportation for you and your companion.
- Free fertility testing: With Physician’s Surrogacy, you’ll have complete access to information and education about your own fertility. The results of your physical and physiological screenings will be made available to you. It may not seem like much, but it can be very valuable information when you are planning your own reproductive future.
What can you do with your egg donation compensation?
By becoming an egg donor, you are making someone’s lifelong dream come true. You too deserve to fulfil your dreams. You can easily do that with your egg donation compensation, after all you deserve it. This compensation can be an amazing step towards accomplishing your goals and building a future you’re excited about. Our previous donors have used their compensation for all sorts of things, but the most common are education, travel and savings.
- Many donors use their compensation to help pay for their education. It can be tuition, paying off student loans or even funding semesters abroad
- Travelling is the best way to expand your horizons, and with your compensation, you can discover the world in style. You can go on an epic cross-country journey or on a dream vacation in Europe.
- Some donors even buy a car with their payment, and that opens a lot of doors for both employment and adventure.
- You can also utilize the complete compensation amount as a down payment for your new apartment or house. Egg donor compensation makes a great little nest egg.
- Some egg donors tuck their compensation away for the future so that they can take a few risks and explore all their options without being worried about their financial future.
These are just a few ideas, but the possibilities are endless. In the end, the gift of egg donation is priceless, but it doesn’t imply that you shouldn’t be compensated for your contribution. At Physician’s Surrogacy, it is very important to us that our donors feel supported and appreciated. Hence, we make sure that you are paid fairly for the incredible things that you are doing for a family in need. You should know that you deserve the very best and the agency you choose should be open and transparent about how much they pay their donors.
You can visit us at www.physicianssurrogacy.com or call us at 858-874-5939 if you have questions about egg donation.